University of Oxford
11a Mansfield Rd
Nature Positive Universities
This research is linked to:
UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration
Outline of research:
- To establish a global network of Nature Positive universities in order to prompt the prioritization of nature and its restoration within the higher education sector; in operations and supply chains, on campuses and within our cities. This will form a major contribution to the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Universities have a substantial role to play in moving urgently from degrading nature to restoring it: our students are our future leaders, we create knowledge and nurture thinkers, and we directly impact the planet as landowners and consumers. Uniting universities for ecosystem restoration therefore has wider impact into our local communities and beyond.
Summary of planned activities:
- Lead the inception of a Nature Positive Universities network and establish and convene a group of founding universities committing to a Nature Positive journey
- Develop resources and guidance on estimating and reporting a university’s impacts on nature and using the Conservation Hierarchy (4Rs) framework to support development of strategies to meet nature positive targets
- Support network members in developing and implementing their Nature Positive strategies, sharing case studies and successes across the network
Period: December 2021