Shuo Gao (Jack)
My environmental economics background has provided me insights into the effects of preferences, values, priorities, attitudes and behaviours of individuals on natural resource use and conservation. I believe the elicitation of this information is necessary to underpin truly effective environmental and conservation policies. Moreover, during my previous experience working and researching in the private sector in China, I have found that the development of environmental conservation strategies and practices in the companies is still in the infancy stage, so I am eager to further understand this issue and make some changes through establishing more sustainable business models.
I graduated with a MSc in Environmental Economics and Climate Change from the London School of Economics and Political Science, under the supervision of Prof. Susana Mourato (LSE). My master’s thesis topic is “Nudging consumer willingness to pay for ecological packaging through biodiversity loss video”. Prior to that, I completed my Bachelor of Economics from Dalian University of Technology, where I worked two years as a research assistant studying corporate sustainability and circular economy in the enterprises in China. In addition to academic experience, I also took the lead for five years in start-up companies across industries. Currently, I run/co-run three businesses in Shanghai and Harbin of China.
Broadly speaking, I am proactive with solving complex real-world issues in the field of ecological economics and conservation science. For my PhD research, I study the trade-offs among economic, social and ecological/environmental outcomes for achieving net gain/net positive outcomes for nature and people with the help of the mitigation hierarchy. I am also interested in application of economic valuation and appraisal techniques to elicit residents’ and consumers’ preferences, values and priorities to underpin environmental and conservation strategies, based on theories and frameworks from environmental economics, cognitive psychology and behavioural science. Besides, I also draw on management and decision science tools to work with Prof. Ming K. Lim (Coventry) on building sustainable business models and greening supply chains, operations, production, marketing and financing for improving environmental performance in the private sector in emerging economies.
I currently work on the application of multi-criteria analysis as a public decision-making and participatory technique to survey well-being losses and evaluate compensation performance under the net gain goal. I also work on the National Xuedou Park of China and try to take advantage of the mitigation hierarchy to manage the biodiversity and wellbeing losses caused by economic development projects.
2020-Present: Ph.D. with Interdisciplinary Centre for Conservation Science, University of Oxford, UK;
2019-2020: M.Sc. in Environmental Economics & Climate Change, London School of Economics, UK;
2015-2019: B.Sc. in Economics, Dalian University of Technology, China;
2017: Exchange Program, National Taiwan University of Science & Technology, Taiwan;
2017: Visiting Program, University of California, San Diego, USA;
2020-Present: Research Associate to Dr. Joe W. Bull, University of Kent & Wild Business, UK (http://joewbull.com/science);
2020-Present: Senior Consultant, Naturaler Education & Technology, Heilongjiang, China;
2019-Present: Co-founder, Dongcui Cultural Tourism, Shanghai, China;
2015-Present: Operations Manager, Dirian Group, Harbin, China.
· Xia, L., Wei, J., Gao, S., & Ma, B. (2020). Promoting corporate sustainability through sustainable resource management: A hybrid decision-making approach incorporating social media data. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 85, 106459. doi:10.1016/j.eiar.2020.106459
· Wu, K.-J., Gao, S., Xia, L., Tseng, M.-L., Chiu, A. S., & Zhang, Z. (2019). Enhancing corporate knowledge management and sustainable development: An inter-dependent hierarchical structure under linguistic preferences. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 146, 560–579. doi:10.1016/j.resconrec.2019.03.015
· Wu, K.-J., Chen, Q., Qi, Y., Jiang, X., Gao, S., & Tseng, M.-L. (2019) Sustainable Development Performance for Small and Medium Enterprises Using a Fuzzy Synthetic Method-DEMATEL. Sustainability, 11(15), 4119. doi:10.3390/su11154119
· Shen, C., Liu Z., & Gao, S. (2020) Elite Education Participates in the Process of Ecological Enclave: Sino- Singapore Tianjin Eco-city, China. Cities in the 21st Century - The International Seminar on Urban Form, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
· Wu, K.-J., Gao, S., Xia, L., & Chiu, A. S. (2018) Developing a Hierarchical Framework through Integrating Qualitative and Quantitative Information for Improving Corporate Sustainability Performance. International Conference on Resource Sustainability 2018, Beijing, China, June 27-29, 2018.